Friday 21 February 2014

Space Assassin: The Movie



Chris Achilleos piece from the mid 80s. probably best known as the cover for Fighting Fantasy 12: Space Assassin



 But also slightly less known as the video cover to a film called Extermination 2025...



... which, rather than being Space Assassin: The Movie is evidently the French VHS release of...

the 1972 Gorija classic, Godzilla Vs. Gigan.

No, really, it is. Just goes to show, you can't judge a VHS by it's cover.

Edit: Here's the trailer...

3 comments:

  1. One of my favourite Godzilla flicks - would love to know the reasoning behind putting Space Assassin on the VHS cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve, I've put the trailer up in the post so you can get a better idea of it. I remember watching all the Godzilla movies on late-night BBC2 when they ran a season of them. They are fun, epic things, however my overriding memory is of the goddamn headache inducing screeching produced by all the monsters. I think Mechagodzilla is my favourite. Or perhaps Mothra.

    No idea what the video company were thinking with that one. I'd guess that the design brief was "a science fiction movie" and the designers hadn't had the chance to see the film, so just chose the coolest thing they could find in the image library that day.

    ReplyDelete